Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Facebook Together


facebook-high-res-friendship-world-map-paul-butler
View in High Resolution


An intern at Facebook created this image showing the link between friends across the world. The image shows the connections between over 10 million Facebook users and their friends.

The intern apparently began this project when he began to wonder wheather country/location had an effect on the friends that people made on facebook.

The map of the world was not placed on the image. Instead the map was rendered solely from the connections of friends. Every point is a friend. The detailed image is a spectacular showing of the popularity of Facebook.

This image also shows the uses of Social Networking and what a network like Facebook can show. It is a powerful tool for connecting people around the world and allows them to easily talk, a system that telephones could not solve.


Personally I am not a user of facebook. I don't value social networking with people I don't know and don't want to give my information to anyone that wishes to look for it. On the other hand I understand the importance of staying connected with the world (thus this blog) and keeping track with friends (google buzz and gmail).

If you want to see the article I used you can view it here.