Monday, January 31, 2011

Gears Terrain Demo

Since nobody reads my dev blog except Sucio I have decided to post this here.

I have been working on gears terrain and lighting for the last two days and have come up with this:



The style is (at least right now) a retro look with slow animations and blotty almost 8bit sprites. I am also working on the reactions and a few of them are working. Sodium (the pale white in the bottom left) reacts explosively with water when they come in contact. This destroys the sodium and all times near the sodium as well. Right now this causes water to flood into the exploded area extremely fast (instantly) and I will probably be slowing that down.

Another reaction is that of dirt (the gray and brown tiles) and water. If exposed to water for an extended period (a second at the moment) the dirt becomes mud (the brown tile). If mud stays in contact with water for 10 seconds it is replaced with water. This requires the player to build some form of water control or risk being washed away.

I have also added ice (the lower right blue clump) that melts if it comes in contact with water or if fire magic is cast on it (not implemented yet). Also Rune Stone (the upper left black and red tile) has been added and it will have to be mined in order for the player to cast their spells and enchant their traps.

Finally oil (the circle in the middle right) has been added as well and can be used to create a slow burning pit of death.

As you can see I have mined in from the top of the dungeon and thus all tiles adjacent to an open tile are revealed (this is why the outer tiles are so light as they border the outside of the map).

I am looking for more resources that can react with one another. If you have any ideas (you can include magical/made up reactions) feel free to post them below. I would appreciate it.