Sunday, February 13, 2011

What Do You Want In A Game Makers Website?

I am designing myself a website, hopefully from scratch, to showcase the games and programs I have developed. What I want to know is what kinds of features the site should contain. What makes you want to play a game? What makes you want to come back?

The site will be it's own creation and will not be a blogger website. Instead, as I said, it will be completely hand-written. Hopefully I can use this to better learn about web page design and also get my games out there on the Internet.

Current Plans include:
  • Game Downloads - Figured I'd stick this on their somewhere.
  • Game Development Blogs - Every Game (in development and released) will have a Blog. This will contain news and more about each game.
  • Game List - A Page listing all games, prices, download links, rating etc.
  • Screenshot Area - Place for in game screen shots. Every game will have it's own area.
  • Movie Area - Place for YouTube (or another) videos of game play.
  • Forum's - Hell, why not?
  • Mod's - A list of Mods for every game and links to there project sites.
  • Unity Quick Play - If the game was created in Unity it will have a playable demo online.
  • Review Section - A place for people to post reviews and ratings of the game. 
Anyway. If you have any suggestions or things you want to throw out that I should add or avoid I'm open to suggestions. I don't even have a name for my "studio" yet. I was thinking something neat like Catacomb Games or something but that can wait.

Hopefully I can get the site up in time to enter it in the NextGen web design scholarship. The money would be nice.

If you have any features or looks you want to suggest for the site than please do. Ideas are always nice to have. Do it. Do it now.